4 Antique Sterling Souvenir Spoons Gorham Lunt Mechanics Missouri Columbia MO



Free Shipping Included


Estimated 2-15 Business Days


Credit Card, Check, Cash, PayPal, Apple Pay, Venmo


30 Days 100% Money Back Guarantee, Buyer Pays Return Shipping


Lot of four antique 19th century sterling silver souvenir spoons of Columbia, Missouri representing the University of Missouri, Read Hall (of the) University of Missouri, C.C. Auditorium, and the Episcopal Church. Makers include two by Gorham, one by Lunt Silversmiths, and one by Mechanics Silver Co (a branch of the Watson Company). Established in 1839, the University of Missouri was the first public university west of the Mississippi River and was home to the world's first journalism school.

""The Gorham Manufacturing Company is one of America’s largest manufacturers of silver-plate and sterling pieces, along with a foundry for bronze sculpture. Gorham got it’s start in 1831 with Jabez Gorham in partnership with Henry Webster. The two founded the silver company in Gorham’s hometown of Providence, Rhode Island. Their beginning was as a manufacturer of coin-silver flatware in which Gorham started to gain acclaim, especially in 1859 once the flatware was selected by Mary Todd Lincoln for the White House. In 1863, Gorham was a major player in plated silver. In 1868, they had made the switch from coin silver for sterling silver and produced everything from knives, forks and spoons, to other desired pieces such as coffee pots and serving bowls. Again, highly desired by several White House administrations, Mrs. Ulysses S. Grant asked Gorham to commemorate the country’s one-hundredth anniversary with a spectacular century vase.""

""Lunt Silversmiths began its activity and was incorporated in Greenfield, MA in 1902 as Rogers, Lunt & Bowlen Company.
The firm succeeded to A. F. Towle & Son Co purchasing its tools, machinery, trademarks and good-will.
The business was managed by George E. Rogers (1849-1915, President and major investor), George Colby Lunt (Treasurer and General Manager) and William Caldwell Bowlen (1868-1934, Vice President and supervisor of manufacturing until his retirement in 1929).
George C. Lunt and William C. Bowlen were both qualified members of the staff of the defunct Towle's factory.
The company would become a celebrated domestic designer and producer of flatware, hollowware, and giftware for generations to come remaining in Lunt family hands for more than 100 years, making it the oldest continuously operating family-owned silver company in the United States.
On April 4, 1912 the RLB trademark obtained the U.S. federal registration under the serial number of 71062653.
In 1935 Rogers, Lunt & Bowlen Company's name was shortened to Lunt Silversmiths.
In 1957 Lunt Silversmiths acquired King Silver Co and its subsidiary Richard Dimes Company of South Boston, Ma.
Lunt Silversmiths had in its inventory a wide array of flatware patterns as Alexandra, American Directoire, American Victorian, Belle Meade, Carillon, Charles II, Chased Classic, Chatelaine, Colonial Manor, Colonial Theme, Contrast, Coronet, Counterpoint, Delacourt, Early american-Engraved, Early American-Plain, Early Colonial, Eloquence, Embassy scroll, English Shell, Festival, Floral Lace, Granado, Lace Point, Madrigal, Mary II, Memory Lane, Mignonette, Modern Classic, Modern Victorian, Monticello, Mount Vernon, Nellie Custis, Pendant of Fruit, Raindrop, Rapallo, Regency, Rondelay, Rose Elegance, Spring Serenade, Starfire, Summer song, Sweetheart Rose, William & Mary.
Embassy Scroll pattern (1981) was chosen by the United States government as its official tableware in all U.S. embassies and consulates around the world.
In late 2009 the company sold its brand and inventory to Reed & Barton and the following year all remaining manufacturing and inventory assets at the Greenfield, Massachusetts factory were sold at auction.""

""Mechanics Silver Company was a maker of sterling silver flatware and souvenir spoons, a subsidiary of Watson & Newell Co. The meaning of the ""H"" in the flag is unknown.""

""Watson Company - The origin of the firm traces back to 1874 when was formed in Attleboro, MA, the Cobb, Gould & Co. The founders were Clarence L. Watson, Fred Newell, Charles Cobb, Samuel Gould and W.A. Battey.
The firm produced a line of jewelry goods, mainly gold plated.
Between 1875 and 1880 Battey, Cobb and Gould withdrew from the partnership and Watson and Newell, the only ones left, formed a new firm operating under the name Watson & Newell (1880-1886).
In 1887 Joseph R. Ripley joined to the business and the firm changed its name to Watson, Newell & Co. In 1891 also Edward L. Gowern entered the partnership. The business continued with success and, needing larger quarters, in 1894 the old Mechanics Mill property was bought opening the new factory in 1896.
The name changed to Watson & Newell Co, while Mechanics Sterling Company was the name of the subsidiary flatware branch. In 1899 the firm obtained its first flatware patent (Clarence L. Watson) and began a wide production of flatware and souvenir spoons.
Failing health forced Fred Newell to retire from the active participation to the firm shortly after the turn of the century. He remained as a non-active partner until his death (1910).
In 1904 the sleeve and collar buttons division became a separate operating unit with the name of Standard Button Company under the direction of Ripley and Gowen.
In this period the firm produced hundreds of sterling souvenir spoons depicting a variety of subjects.
Beginning about 1900, Watson produced a line of sterling hollow-ware for Wilcox & Wagoner of New York using the ""sword and laurel wreath"" mark. Wilcox & Wagoner closed down c.1905 and Watson continued producing with this mark until 1929.
In 1920 ""The Watson Co"" was incorporated taking in charge all the silver operations. Many new flatware patterns continued to be introduced on a regular basis.
At the death of Clarence L. Watson (1930) the management of the firm was assumed by his son-in-law Grover Richards.
In 1955 the business was sold to R. Wallace & Sons.
The dies of Watson souvenir spoons (as many as 3000), sold by Wallace, in the 1970s were in unused possession of The Inman Co Inc. of Attleboro, MA.""


Good Overall - Tarnish/gentle wear


5.75” x 1.25” / Combined Weight - 72 g (Length x Width/Weight)